Or:

...from baby food to toddler food to family food!

Thursday, September 16, 2010

In My Freezer...

Now that William is pretty much done with purees (other than what I mix into his oatmeal, yogurt or cottage cheese), it has become a challenge to keep stocked with fresh, healthy finger foods.  One solution: the freezer!

After eating thawed frozen berries
I love that our local grocery store, Stop & Shop is carrying more products from it's "Nature's Promise" line of organics!  In my freezer right now: organic peas, green beans, "California mix" (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), mixed berries, edamame/soybeans, ravioli.

In my Baby Cubes 2 oz.: firm tofu chunks, braised turkey in broth,whole blueberries and blackberries, whole beans. These are all "leftovers" from previously opened items.


Here is a great recipe shared with my by a friend whose son was born just down the hall from William, same day, within hours. They seem to have similar palates!
These are excellent broken up for early self-feeders, or whole for more advanced.  I made these in a mini muffin tin, and froze them.
Ricotta Muffins
1 16 ounce package frozen organic spinach
1/3 cup of whole milk organic ricotta cheese
2 egg yolks
Spices: basil, oregano, garlic, and/or onion (dried or fresh)

Cook the spinach for a little under the amount of time the package says. Drain the spinach and put in a bowl.

Add Ricotta

Add Egg Yolks

Add Spices

Mix/blend ingredients together (depending on how smooth or chunky you want it).

Lightly spray a muffin tray with Canola and spoon ingredients into the cups.

Bake @ 375 until golden and spongy, about 25 minutes

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. The second time I tried this recipe, I used 2/3 c ricotta, 3 egg yolks and added about 1/2 a pkg of frozen winter squash puree. I kept everything else the same. They came out even more fluffy and moist, and William loved them even more!

    ReplyDelete